Meeting the Needs of the Electric Utility Industry
Firmatek has consistently pioneered modern advances in geospatial data mapping through innovative products and services. With over 30 years of industry experience, Firmatek has the expertise and technology to provide 3D mapping, inspections, and field audits.
We believe in using the right tool for the job. Our technology offering includes terrestrial, mobile, and UAV based LiDAR, high resolution RGB visual and IR/thermal sensors. This suite of technology ensures we are able to provide our customers across the industry with the tools and data they need to operate safely and efficiently.
Firmatek Solutions for Electric Utilities
T&D Infrastructure Classification
Mobile and UAV-based LiDAR are used to capture 3D points clouds to assess infrastructure for transmission, distribution, and joint pole use applications. All T&D assets in addition to surrounding features are identified with a high level of detail and geospatial accuracy. True colorization aids in 3D visualization of the entire T&D model.
- Extensive feature code classification of T&D assets
- ROW & surrounding vegetation encroachment classification
- Powerline catenary sag analysis
- Pole loading analysis
Comprehensive Visual Inspection
UAV-mounted, high resolution cameras can be used to capture still photos, thermal imagery, and videos to spot defects, anomalies, and change detection in structures, electrical components, and conductors. Use cases include, but are not limited to:
- Annual maintenance and inventory validation
- New construction and installation verification
- Assessing storm damage, validating line up/down status, and documenting remediation efforts
- Pole condition (pole rot, crossbeam integrity, moss, birds nests, corrosion)
- Component failures and defects (missing grounding, flash overs, cracking, discoloration, attach-point wear & tear)
- Supporting documentation for annual budget reporting and risk mitigation
- Baseline data-sets required for budget reporting, and liability assessment required by FEMA and insurance providers
Joint Pole Use Audits
Through pole audits and maintenance inspections, Firmatek can provide the data you need to ensure regulatory compliance, validate and maintain accurate records, plan pole capacity for future fiber optic cable installations.
- Field validation
- Attach points & service provider documentation
- Height & distance measurements
As-built Line Audits
Electric utilities require accurate as-built drawings of major power poles, towers, substations, and other infrastructure—including component inventory. Even more so, they must be geospatially current. Through the following deliverables, Firmatek can easily and accurately map, monitor, and analyze your electrical infrastructure.
- Dimensioned CAD drawings in most formats
- 3D models with object/feature code classification
- All data compatible with ESRI geospatial environments
- Monitoring subcontractor project progress and installation verification
- Capacity planning assessments
- Plan of record
How It Works
Benefits of Firmatek for Electric Utilities
Predicting 2021 Technology for the Electrical Utilities Industry
By Andrew Maximow, Chief Drone Officer Published in CIO Applications. At Firmatek, 2020 was a banner year in many ways. We adapted in the midst of a pandemic, utilized innovative technology, and introduced service to the Electrical Utilities industry. ...
4 LiDAR & UAV Use Cases for Electrical Utilities
By Andrew Maximow, Chief Drone Officer A variety of industries utilize drone and LiDAR solutions to streamline their operations. Mining and aggregates are accurately measuring materials, landfills are calculating remaining airspace, and public service...
Firmatek’s Digital Data Mapping Technology Outperforms Traditional Methods of Utility Inspections
By Kate Steger, Business Development Representative Over the past year and a half, Firmatek has used our data mapping capabilities to provide services for the electric utility and telecommunication industries. In our period of growth, we have learned...
Drone & LiDAR Inspections Improve the Utility Industry: Here’s How
By Kate Steger, Business Development Representative A wide variety of industries are utilizing drones in useful, creative ways to advance their business operations. Mining and aggregates are accurately measuring materials, landfills are calculating remaining...